7 steps to building a company and brand for the long term, by the Fortune 500 retailer, Zappos.
19th June 2017
Employee engagement strategy if you want to build a company for the long term.
- Decide (on your goal). You have to give up short term profits for the benefit of the brand long term
- Figure out the values and culture (use proper time, might be a year, on the values) Start from day 1, it makes life so much easier for everyone
- Commit to transparency
- Zappos has a newsletter that is called “Ask anything” and it’s actually that, employees can ask anything.
- Daily sales reports to all employees and also vendors
- Vision – people sense the engagement when people are into your vision. Chase the vision, not the money. What would you be passionate about for 10 years even if you didn’t make a dime on it?
- Build relationships
- Rather than try to network, try to meet people and try to get to know them as a person without any expectations. 2 or 3 years down the line, something happens that you couldn’t possibly anticipate happens that makes your effort worthwhile. It will seem like random luck.
- Build your team, slowly and invest in the training of your people.
- Think long-term. Focus on customer service and VP customers.